Wednesday, July 16, 2008

A Letter

Dear Happy Bloglanders (what is a bloglander? sounds like space ship...ok, ok...) Bloggie Friends,
Though you may not know it yet (but that's ok, because I'm about to inform you), I owe you an apology. It's like this...
After thinking about and agonizing over my WWWAT post for the last week (you think I jest, but it seems that as my real life is somewhat unexciting, I have found that my blog is now the most exciting thing in my world more often than not), finally, it was Wednesday, and I could post my fabulously perfect images (not so much the smoothies... but I was pretty proud of that sushi and my beloved books). So I posted as soon as I got to work this morning (don't judge me that I use my work computer to maintain my blog-life). Oh, I just knew that I would get some comments. I mean, let's be honest, I kinda live for comments. And WWWAT day is one day that I can pretty much always count on at least some really sweet notes written just for me.
So I waited an hour (I am ashamed, but I feel that I can be honest with you. I am a compulsive blog-checker at work (especially on WWWAT day and It's Real Life days). And I checked my blog. Nothing. Not a single comment. "Well, that's ok, I mean... it's only 8:30... maybe nobody's up yet..." And yet, no matter how long I waited, it seemed that nobody wanted to comment. "Is it because my summertime post isn't as exciting as I think?!" "Am I the only bloggie who loves Harry Potter enough to be completely content re-reading them so often?" I was in the depths of despair. Then, I hang my head and say it, I was sad, and I blamed all of you. I thought, "Fine, they have neglected me in my time of need. Clearly, they feel no need to return the happy thoughts that I try so hard to grace them with. It's ok. I don't need them." Now, of course I knew within my heart that this last bit is untrue. I do need you. As much as this blog is for me, I have recently become a real-life blog comment junkie. I need a support group. Anyway, back to my tale... So I was sad, and feeling a little un-loved, and wondering why none of you wanted to be my friend.
So I left work, went home, made Josh dinner, and sent him off to work. I sat down to watch Emma. I turned the computer on (we use our tv as our computer monitor and the dvd drive on the computer is our dvd player.... it's actually a really cool setup. I'll share it with you sometime.), and lo and behold, I had a new mail message, from Jessica over at Farm Fresh. It went a little something like this...

"I found I couldn't comment on your post. I love how you associate books w/ certain smells/ times.-I do a little of that too--like I read several of the Left Behind books the summer I went to San Fransisco, so I always think of that summer.
I'm a re-reader too, but only certain books--like The Mitford series or Lonesome Dove.
And I love a good smoothie!"

Oh, I was ashamed. I immediately went to my blog, clicked on the comments button, and... nothing. Somehow between the html and the blogger draft, and my obsessive need for comments, my comment link had stopped working. It was then that I realized, it's not that nobody loves me, it's that my blog wasn't working properly. So I thought to myself, "I sure do owe them all an apology". Because I know, deep within me, that you would not all have decided to neglect me in my time of need (well... it's kinda a need). I am sorry fellow bloggies that I doubted you.
The End.

6 comments:

Rene said...

I know...I need a comment support group too! I also need a memory support group because I so meant to comment about your Potterdiction yesterday. I have the same affliction and it is not only the books (which I re-read from book 1 to the last whenever a new book would come out and I'm getting ready to read again because I'm having severe no more Potter books withdrawal) but also the movies which I watch over and over and over again. I'm glad I'm not the only one!!

Megan said...

too funny. i think we all know that slight obsession with comments- it was funny to read your story :)

Megan

Carol said...

I too need a support group, so if you find one let me know.

I think I'd plummet into a downward spiral of depression if my comment link ceased working.

Elizabeth Byler Younts said...

awww...what a sweet post. I'm a new reader and found you thru farm fresh a week or so ago. I'll be back. :-)

i have to admit...i too am a comment JUNKIE!

Debbie said...

I think we all feel that way about comments. Comments make you feel like you aren't writing to yourself. Seriously, just keep blogging. I blogged for a year with little to no comments EVER and only a couple of readers. My advice is to read other blogs, always leave a comment, keep yours interesting like you do, and you will find that you build up a core audience and then the spider effect starts happening...it is gradual and interesting to watch...but don't give up. Believe me, I know how you feel!

stacey said...

I love comments too!!!
I am new to your blog & I LOVE your layout!!!!