Friday, June 20, 2008

There's No Place Like Home

Josh and I had a meeting with his recruiter today. Josh is leaving for COT at the end of August, and he's supposed to be reporting at Andrews at the beginning of October. Seeing as how this is our first move with the military, we have a TON of questions, and we were hoping to get some of them answered. Sgt. Ketchum (Josh's recruiter) was able to answer a lot of our queries, but since Josh hasn't officially been sworn in yet, it's mostly just a waiting game right now. We're hoping that he gets sworn in by the end of July so that we have a little time to contact Andrews, figure out some housing, etc. We're really hoping to live on base, which means that we probably need to get on the waiting list (as well as figure out how long the waiting list is).
So anyway, all that to say, there's still a lot up in the air, but I'm not really too worried. I kinda enjoy flying by the seat of my pants. I'm definitely ready to get this new adventure started. I've grow accustomed to not being stationary for so long. Today, as I thought about moving, I realized that I haven't lived in one place for more than 10 months since I started college five years ago. I mean, I guess technically I lived in the same building for the three years that I was at Southwestern, but I was in a different room every year, and I had to move out at the end of each year. And then I was in Rome, which in some ways felt more like home than Louisiana ever has, but even as comfortable as I was there, I was only there for four months. By the time we move, I will have been in this house for a year and a half. I am definitely comfortable here in many ways, but due to all the family drama surrounding our home here, it's never really felt like %100 ours. Plus, I'm definitely a city girl at heart, well, at least a suburbia girl at heart, and that is not to be found here without a solid four hour drive. Needless to say, DC looks amazing to me right now :)
Anyway, if anybody out there has advice for the first military move, I'm craving a little experienced advice :)

This is the Chinese Pizzeria that was accross the street from my apartment in Rome (this picture was taken from our kitchen window). I will always associate it with home.

No comments: