Thursday, January 29, 2009

The Books

Ok, so... since many of you mentioned looking into the books that I mentioned in my last post (The Sword of Truth series), I thought that I would give you a little more info as well as my take (cause I know how much my opinion means to all of you ;)).
First, there are some things that you should know before we begin...
  1. There are twelve books in the series.
  2. I have only read the first three (I'm waiting for the next six to come from amazon)
  3. They are considered sci-fi/fantasy, but fall mostly in the fantasy realm (wizards, magic and such)
Now that we have that established, let's begin :) I suppose I should start at the beginning. I first discovered them while being entertained by a new tv series. It's called Legend of the Seeker, and  it's based off of these books. Let me just stop right there and say that if you are interested in the books, you should consider checking out at least the pilot episode of LotS first (you can watch it on their website). It's not true to the books in many ways, but it will determine whether you will enjoy the story. So I began watching the series (which I immediately fell in love with), and when I saw that it was based off of a book, I knew  needed to read it. So during one of my book shopping sprees, I ordered the first three (they come in boxed sets of threes). I devoured them. Though I can't say that they are great works of literary prowess, the language is rich and descriptive, the story is wonderful and imaginitive, and they're just enoyable :) There's intrigue, adventure, battles for the fate of the world, and (of course) love. If you enjoy a good fantasy every now and again, I would definitely say you should check em out :)
One last thing that I should mention... thus far, I have only seen the first three and the very last three in stores. You'll probably need to order the rest. Also, they tend to take amazon a day or two more than for other books, so you might want to plan ahead.
Thus endeth my spiel. Let me know if you pick em up. I very much want your opinions :)

7 comments:

Julie said...

thanks for sharing, I am always interested in a new book! It is such a bummer I cannot watch it living over here in Europe... dumb international copyright laws... I am going to see if I can download it.

Thanks Lauren!!!

I Love Purple More Than You said...

Oh I'm glad you mentioned them. That's definitely my favorite literary genre. I'll have to check them out!

Nik said...

I've read most of that series and LOVE it. They actually made a TV version and it wasn't...too bad...felt kind of Xena-ish but still entertaining. It's called Legend of the Seeker - we watched 2 episodes and then our DVR had issues and I haven't picked up the search for them yet.

Definitely a good series of books.

anne said...

ohh...we are always looking for fun easy reads for our family holiday, so I HAVE to get these:)

anne said...

ps... did I ever tell you how much I'm diggin the new blog design? :)

Alicia @ Oh2122 said...

Hubby keeps trying to catch that show!

I think I'll just track down the books. The book is always better anyway, right?

Lula! said...

I will add them to my ever-growing list. I've never heard of this television series, either.

I'm halfway through a very interesting, very different one now..."Tithe," by Holly Black. Faeries and such...with strong language and teen sex and smoking. See? It's different, I tell ya.